As introduced and discussed in this post, this page lists my favorite estate planning sites. My current criteria for linking to a site is relatively simple:
- The site involves estate planning or closely related topics
- The site (or at least the relevant content) is free
- The site has been viewed and enjoyed by me personally
Disclosure: If you see an asterisk (*) before the site’s link, this means that I or my firm can be found somewhere on the listed site. This is not a qualifier for my listing the site here, nor have I listed every site where I or my firm is referenced. I’m going for objectivity here, as much as a human being can.
Please do not hesitate to suggest any ideas or sites I may have missed in the “Leave a Reply” box below.
- Cornell University’s Legal Information Institute — Includes links to the U.S. Code and all individual state statutes.
- U.S. Government Printing Office — Printer of official U.S. government publications. Site includes links to many resources, including the Code of Federal Regulations, Congressional Bills and the Congressional Record, as well as the U.S. Code.
- Uniform Probate Code
- Uniform Trust Code
- Govtrack.us — Tracking bills and activity in the U.S. Congress.
- Virginia’s Judicial System — site includes link to all Virginia County and City Circuit Courts (Individual Circuit Court Homepages)
- Virginia Law — Virginia Code Title 64.1 – “Wills and Decedent’s Estates”
- Virginia Law — Virginia Code Title 55, Chapter 31 – “Uniform Trust Code”
- Virginia Law — Virginia Code Title 26 – “Fiduciaries Generally”
- Guide to Administration of Decedent’s Estates in Virginia — publication from the Virginia Bar Association
- Managing Prosperity — Series of detailed estate planning publications from the Virginia Cooperative Extension, Virginia Tech, and Virginia State University.
- Virginiaestatelaw.com — VA attorney Edward R. Stolle’s website. A thorough explanation of all stages of Virginia probate from an estate practitioner.
- Maryland Judiciary
- Maryland Law — Michie’s Legal Resources — see “Estates and Trusts” section (first click Maryland Code, then “Michie’s Code of Maryland”)
- Office of the Register of Wills — Main Site — provides information for each Maryland County’s Register of Wills
- Office of the Reigster of Wills — Publications and Sample Guides
- Office of the Register of Wills — Forms
- Maryland Law of Estate & Trust — Online treatise written by MD attorney Frederick Frank.
- Unified Judicial System of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Law — Unofficial Purdon’s Pennsylvania Statutes — see Title 20, “Decedents, Estates and Fiduciaries”
- Registers of Wills in Pennsylvania — links to each PA county’s register of wills, as compiled by PA attorney Dan Evans.
- The Pennsylvania Estate and Trust Cybrary — PA attorney Dan Evans’ site. Focus on Pennsylvania law, but also has discussions on technology for lawyers.
General Estate Planning Pages and Sites
Legal Websites with Estate Planning Pages
These are links to general legal websites with excellent articles on the basics of estate planning.
- American Bar Association – Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section – Estate Planning FAQs
- (*)Estateplanning.com – Consumer website from WealthCounsel, LLC, an estate planning attorney organization linked below.
- (*)Findlaw.com – Wills, Trusts, Estates, and Probate Page
- (*)Hg.org – Estate Planning Center
- (*)Lawyers.com – Estate Planning Page & Wills and Probate Page
- Nolo.com – Wills, Trusts, and Estates Center
Individual Practitioner Sites
This group of links are to some outstanding estate planning resources produced by firms and individual practitioners:
- mystatewill.com — PA attorney Kurt R. Nilson’s site. Comprehensive summary of all states’ intestacy laws. Includes several calculators.
- The Rushford Firm’s Estate Planning Pages — NV attorney Layne T. Rushforth’s site. Many articles summarizing basic and advanced estate planning techniques.
- KEYTLaw.com — AZ attorney Richard Keyt’s site. Discusses estate planning thoroughly and also writes about the technologies he used to build a paperless office.
- News and Commentary — IL attorney Timothy Madura’s site. Excellent discussion about estate and gift tax planning after passage of the 2010 Tax Act by Congress.
- Private Wealth Services (updates and articles) — Practice area site of McGuire Woods. Frequent updates and commentary on advanced topics.
- Publications (Personal Planning Search Page) — Practice area search page of Proskauer Rose LLP. Contains the firm’s Wealth Management Updates and Personal Planning Strategies since 2002.
- Keebler & Associates (Education Page) — Robert S. Keebler, CPA’s firm site. Education page includes numerous detailed flow charts that thoroughly explain recent tax developments and present available options to those affected.
Of Use to Practitioners & Interested Consumers
- ACTEC Toolbox / Topical Index — ACTEC’s outstanding list of estate planning internet sites and practice tools, grouped in seven categories (ACTEC is an estate planning attorney organization, and is separately linked below)
- Google Scholar — enables Google search of legal opinions and journals
- Public Library of Law — search page of state and federal case law database, with links to additional resources
- Jotwell – Trusts and Estates Page — estate planning page from University of Miami School of Law (my alma mater) site that reviews the latest in legal scholarship
- Social Science Research Network – Wills, Trusts, & Estates Law eJournal — extensive collection of estate planning related law review articles
- Wealth Strategies Journal 2.0 (Beta) — practical journal including hundreds of articles and posts on estate, tax planning and other wealth strategies
- Wills, Trusts and Estates Prof Blog — daily developments in estate planning
Estate Planning Attorney Organizations
- ACTEC (American College of Trusts and Estates Counsel) — Membership by invitation only.
- AAEPA (American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys)
- NNEPA (National Network of Estate Planning Attorneys)
Page last updated August 2012.